Prison Institution


We pledge to provide a place for confinement that is safe and to treat prisoners humanely in accordance with the provisions of the law. We also pledge:

  • To ensure that the prisoners follow an appropriate rehabilitation programme;
  • To guarantee that all complaints/appeals by the prisoners will be given due consideration;
  • To provide a complete and easy to understand guide for family meetings with prisoners;
  • To provide safe and comfortable waiting and visiting areas.


Jalan Kok Klang,
02500 Mata Ayer, Kangar,

Tel : 04-9887000
Fax : 04-9860035
Email :

Brief Information

Perlis Correctional Center starts on May 5, 2006 by the method of direct negotiations and the Public Works Deparment (JKR) to act as the implementing agency. While, North IHS Malaysia Sdn. Bhd. the contractor responsible for carrying out the construction project. Correctional Center was built on Lot 1616 Mukim Padang Siding in Mata Ayer District of Perlis on land with an area of ​​40.5 hectares (100 acres). The total construction cost of the project amounted to RM 135 million. The project completed its construction on October 31, 2010 and was signed as Perlis Correctional Center by the Ministry of Home Affairs on 25 March 2011. Correctional Center is administered by a director of the rank of Assistant Director of Prisons (PKP) Grade KX 48.
Perlis Correctional Center tries to place inmates with a capacity of 800 people. As a new Correctional Centre it is also equipped with an Integrated Electronic Security Systems (SKEP) which involves the control of CCTV, security fencing and also key.
Perlis Correctional Center is also equipped with modern housing and service staff as well as other facilities for personnel of various ranks. Moreover, playgrounds and other recreational facilities such as tennis games, football fields, multipurpose halls, a mosque and a clubhouse are available.
Apart from being a rehabilitation institution, Perlis Correctional Center is a training institute for prison officials to Prison Management Basic Course in addition to other short-term courses organized by the department. In this regard it is also equipped with the necessary infrastructure and training requirements such as auditoriums, lecture rooms, banquet hall and dormitory facilities for accommodation to the participants.

[ Map ]



KM 24, Jalan Naka,
06400 Pokok Sena,

Tel : 04-7825555/7825753/7823653
Fax : 04-7823771
Email :

Brief Information

The Pokok Sena Prison is categorised as a maximum security prison which accommodates various categories of prisoners. Construction of the prison began on 1 August 1999 and was completed on 30 May 2003. The total construction cost was RM169,498,000. The total area of the prison, including its accommodation area, measures 195 acres.

[ Map ]



Jalan Sultanah,
05350 Alor Setar,

Tel : 04-7302544/7340839
Fax : 04-7328694
Email :

Brief Information

The Alor Setar Prison was built in 1893. In the beginning, it held prisoners who were convicted of theft as well as possession of opium and firearms. Most of the prisoners were Malaysians, Thais and the Burmese (who were guilty of trespassing into Malaysian waters while fishing).

[ Map ]



08000 Sungai Petani, Kedah Darul Aman
Tel : 04-4202020 Fax : 04-4222171
Email :

Brief Information

The Sungai Petani Prison was established in 1920 by the British and was known as the Sungai Petani Local Prison. It was placed under the administration of the Alor Setar Prison until 1987 and declared as the Young Prisoners’ Training Centre until 1993, when it became the Sungai Petani Prison, as gazetted in Government Gazette PU (B) 292 dated 30 June 1993 (KDN.S.171/1355 Klt2:PN (PU) 163/11.1). 

In 1997 it held pre-release prisoners who had been transferred from other northern zone prison institutions.
On 29 March 2002, the prison became a detention centre for young prisoners aged 21 and below.

Family Visiting Hours:

Saturdays to Wednesdays - 8.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m.
Thursdays - 8.00 a.m. to 12.00 noon
Fridays & public holidays - Close

[ Map ]



Jalan Goal,

Tel : 04-2289562
Fax : 04-2293528
Email :

Brief Information

During the early 19th century, Penang was a penal colony for prisoners from India. Some of the prisoners were in fact political prisoners and not criminals who were imprisoned for rebelling against British colonisation of India. Penang and Singapore became the penal colonies for Indian prisoners sentenced to more than 7 years’ imprisonment. The existence of this prison in Penang has been traced to 1811 with the discovery of its remains in Fort Cornwallis.

During the mid-19th century, Indian prisoners brought from the Bangkahulu Prison in Sumatera as well as local convicts were held in Chowrusta Lines on Penang Road. However, as the detention centre was too small to contain the large number of inmates, a bigger detention centre was built opposite the existing prison. 

Towards the end of the 1840’s, the Chowrusta Lines Prison became overcrowded. At the same time, the merchants in the Straits Settlements were protesting that the British were turning the colony into a place of exile for convicts, which was detrimental to the image of the Straits Settlements and affected trade.


Previous Head of Institution


Head of Institution

Date of Services

Date of Changed / Retired
1. Colonal William T. Butterworth 1849 1944
F.T.L.T. Morgan
L.W.N. Growny
A.R. Page
5. Maj W.G. Webb 1951 1952
6. H.J. Shepart 1953  
7. J. Banister 1954 1955
8. A.C. Smith 1956  
9. N.T. Smart 1956 1957
10 W.J. Elderton 1958  
11. R.J. Glaziar 1959  
12 Pretap Singh 1960  
13. Indra Singh 1961 1962
14. Ibrahim Bin Mohamad 1963 1965
15. Ismail Bin Ibrahim 1966 1970
16. Abdullah Bin Ariffin 1971 1973
17. Jalaluddin Bin Mohd Ayit 1974 1979
18. Mohd Nadzri Bin Kushairy 1979 1983
19. Hj. Abdul Raof Bin Hj. Ahmad 1983 1984
20. Abdulah Bin Hj. Abu Bakar 1984 1988
21. Zainal Abidin Bin Mohd Noor 1989 1990
22. Chong Fok Choy 1989 1990
23. Hj. Omar Bin Hj. Mohd Dan 1990 1993
24. Hj. Yahaya Bin Hj. Salleh 1993 2002
25. Idris Bin Hj. Ismail 2002 2005
26. Thang Ah Yong 2005 2006
27 Ibrisam Bin Abdul Rahman 2006  

[ Map ]


Kompleks Penjara Seberang Perai,
Jalan Kerian Kedah
14200 Sungai Jawi
Seberang Perai Selatan


Tel : 04-5858888
Fax : 04-5826711
Email :

Brief Information

The history of the Seberang Perai Prison began with the Public Works Department handing over the Seberang Perai Prison Complex to the Prisons Department on 28 August 2009. The construction of the prison complex had been based on the concept of a sports prison.

The prison began operations and received inmates on 15 October 2009. It is one of the prisons which uses the Integrated Electronic Security System.

The Seberang Perai Prison holds first and second time drug offenders and comfortably accommodates 1509 inmates.

The total area of the prison complex is 119 hectares. It is divided into the prison area (inmate accommodation) which covers 76.6 hectares and staff quarters which cover 42.4 hectares.

The prison is administered by Senior Assistant Commissioner Abd. Basir bin Mohamad, the Prison Director.

[ Map ]



Jalan Taming Sari,
34000 Taiping,

Tel : 05-8072177, 8064053, 8083675
Fax : 05-8077631
Email :

Brief Information

The Taiping Prison was built in 1879 during the administration of Sir Hugh Low, the third Resident of Perak. From 1879 to 1960, it was managed by British officers. The prison was built on a land measuring 5.159 hectares using forced labour, namely, prisoners of war or convicts brought in from India and Africa. The construction materials were imported from England through the British East India Company. The Taiping Prison was built to imprison triad members from Ghee Hin and Hai San. It was also used to imprison Malay chiefs who opposed British rule as well as other criminals such as robbers, thieves and murderers.

Its early physical structure consisted of 9-foot high wooden fences and 5 interconnecting semi-brick buildings. Each building could house only 50 prisoners. When it was first constructed, the prison was known as the Larut Prison but was subsequently changed to the Taiping Training Centre. On 9 January 1992, through Government Gazzette (KDN.S 171/1355; PN. (PU) 163/11), the prison became permanently known to this day as the Taiping Prison.

[ Map ]



KM. 12, Jalan Tapah,
35400 Tapah,

Tel : 05-4181818
Fax : 05-4182897
Email :

Brief Information

The Tapah Prison has a total area of 81.75 hectares. Situated on Lot 11233 in the Mukim of Batang Padang, District of Batang Padang, Perak Darul Ridzuan, it is 12 km from the town of Tapah and 67 km from the city of Ipoh. Construction of the prison began on 1 July 2000 and was completed on 30 June 2003 with a contract value of RM191,379,850.11. It began operations on 1 April 2004 and was gazetted in the Federal Government Gazette No. 4 Bil. 47.P.U( B ) 79 dated 13 December 2003. The prison covers an area of 21.88 hectares while the staff quarters cover an area of 14.28 hectares. The remaining 45.6 hectares is agricultural land and oil palm plantation. The prison is equipped with the Integrated Electronic Security System and uses the latest technology as well as has accommodation and recreational facilities that are appropriate with current times for both inmates and staff.
The Tapah Prison was modelled after the Sungai Buloh Prison for remand and convicted prisoners, with a comfortable capacity for 2,062 inmates. In the early stages, the prison accommodated inmates transferred from nearby prisons. Currently, it receives prisoners convicted and sentenced by courts in southern Perak specifically and the whole of the state in general. It is administered by a Prison Director with the rank of Senior Assistant Commissioner of Prison.

His Highness the Sultan Perak, Sultan Azlan Muhibbuddin Shah Ibni Al Marhum Sultan Yussuf Izzuddin Shah Ghafarullahu-Lah, and Her Highness the Raja Permaisuri Perak, Tuanku Bainun, officially opened the Tapah Prison on 17 May 2006, corresponding to 19 Rabiul Akhir 1427 Hijrah. 

[ Map ]



KM 10, Jalan Sg. Buloh,
47000 Sungai Buloh,

Tel : 03-60384690
Fax : 03-60384870/60384685
Email :

Brief Information

The proposal to convert the site of the Pudu Prison into a commercial area caused the Prisons Department to look for an appropriate site to replace the prison. In 1990, an area was identified in the district of Kepong. However, due to the exorbitant cost of land filling, the Prisons Department had to find a more suitable alternative for the new prison. Such a site was gazetted as a prison on 2 July 1992.

The construction of the Sungai Buloh Prison was planned and implemented to accommodate an increase in the inmate population of the Pudu Prison which was no longer suitable in terms of its security. After the closure of the Pudu Prison in October 1996, a high technology prison in Sungai Buloh was built to replace the old site in exchange for the Pudu Prison land which was to be developed by UDA (Urban Development Authority). The whole operations of the Pudu Prison were moved, including the staff and inmates. The move and transfer of prisoners from the Pudu Prison to the Sungai Buloh Prison were carried out in stages.

The Sungai Buloh Prison is located 30 km from the town of Sungai Buloh and covers an area of 60 acres, with an additional 144 acres for staff quarters. The development of the prison complex cost RM 172 million. A total of 655 units of staff quarters were built and the prison comfortably accommodates 2500 inmates. Construction of the prison was completed in September 1996 and operations began in November of the same year. It is classified as a prison with maximum and integrated security features. 

[ Map ]



Sungai Jelok,
43000 Kajang,

Tel : 03-87364620
Fax : 03-87367449
Email :

Brief Information

The Kajang Prison in Selangor, formerly known as the Selangor Central Prison, is one of the 38 prison institutions under the administration of the Prisons Department. It is located in Sungai Jelok, approximately 3 km from the town of Kajang.
Construction began in 1975 on a piece of land measuring 161.3 hectares and the prison began its full operations in mid-1985. In October 1980, the Kajang Prison had only 30 inmates who had been brought over daily from the Pudu Prison in Kuala Lumpur. They were placed in the Pre-release Section and tasked with carrying out cleaning duty as well as maintenance of the area and newly constructed buildings.
The prison, constructed at RM65 million, is divided into 4 main sections:

  1. Main Section
  2. Drug Treatment and Rehabilitation Section
  3. Pre-release Section
  4. Women’s Prison

In order to facilitate the administration of the Women’s Prison, it was separated from the Kajang Prison and became self-governing in 1993. The Selangor Central Prison was officially gazetted as the Kajang Prison on 8 May 1997.
The 3 main divisions of Kajang Prison and their functions:

1. Main Section

Detention of offenders who have been convicted and sentenced for criminal offences and breach of immigration laws

2. Drug Treatment and Rehabilitation Section

Detention of offenders serving sentences for drug trafficking and drug abuse offence

3. Pre-release Section

The dormitory type building accommodates prisoners who work outside the prison walls as well as foreign prisoners. The prisoners chosen to live in this section have release dates not more than 9 months, are Malaysian citizens, have not breached any law/regulation in prison, and do not have any court cases.

[ Map ]



Sungai Jelok,
43000 Kajang,

Tel : 03-87341025
Fax : 03-87372279
Email :

Brief Information

The Kajang Women’s Prison was opened on 1 March 1984 and began operations with a workforce of 54 prison officers. The prison muster at the time was 155 prisoners who had been transferred from the Pudu Prison in Kuala Lumpur.

On 1 March 1992, all the authority was granted to the Officer in Charge of the women’s prison by the Director General of the Prisons Department, in line with the provisions of Section 14(2) of the Prisons Ordinance 1952. However, all allocations, administrative/financial matters were still under the administration of the Selangor Central Prison. Beginning from 1 January 1993, all matters, financial and administrative, were fully managed by the women’s prison. 

[ Map ]



Jalan Muthu Cumaru,
70990 Seremban,

Tel : 06-7652500
Fax : 06-7635991
Email :

Brief Information

The exact year of its construction is unknown. However, the Government Gazette reported the existence of a gaol in Seremban in 1896. It is believed that the prison was first constructed opposite the Negeri Sembilan Contingent Police Headquarters, where the remnants of two walls sit.

SINCE 1957


1 MR WB MITCHELL 1957 - 1958
2 TN INDER SINGH 20-02-1958 - 27-12-1960
3 TN HJ HARUN BIN KASSIM 1960 - 1962
4 TN SAID BIN TAHIRAN 1962 - 1966
5 TN GURDEV SINGH 1966 - 03-01-1975
6 TN KASSIM BIN YAHYA 04-01-1975 - 30-07-1979
7 TN JALIL BIN CHE DIN 31-07-1979 - 31-07-1985
8 TN NAZLAN CHIN ABDULLAH 01-08-1985 - 15-05-1989
9 TN MOHD JAAFAR YAACOB 16-05-1989 - 09-09-1991
10 TN MD NOH TAN SRI MURAD 10-09-1991 - 31-01-1995
11 TN HASSAN BIN SAKIMON 01-02-1995 - 15-02-1998
12 TN ROSLAN BIN MOHAMED 16-02-1998 - 30-06-2000
13 TN MUSTAFHA BIN ITAM 01-07-2000 - 16-09-2003
14 TN MOHD SABRI BIN YAACOB 17-09-2003 - 31-07-2006
15 TN KU NAWAWI BIN KU HAMID 01-08-2006 -

[ Map ]



71600 Titi, Jelebu,

Tel : 06-6111224
Fax : 06-6112487
Email :

Brief Information

The Jelebu Drug Rehabilitation Institution, with a land area of 87 hectares, is located on Lot No. 3189 in the District of Jelebu in the Mukim of Gelami Lemi. Construction began in 1982 using the skills of prison officers as well as prison labour, with assistance from the Public Works Department as the main agency.

The main objective of this institution is to segregate drug offenders from other criminal offenders. At the institution, they are given rehabilitation training through programmes appropriately designed in accordance with the current circumstances. They are also trained in agriculture and industry. 

[ Map ]



Jalan Parameswara
75000 Banda Hilir,

Tel : 06-2823948
Fax : 06-2846658
Email :

Brief Information
Between 1964 and 1990, this institution was known as Henry Gurney School 2 in Bandar Hilir, Melaka. It was more of a closed centre or borstal. In other words, the discipline and laws enforced were stricter than at other institutions having the same functions.

In 1990, the institution became a full-fledged prison and on 11 June 1990, the last 52 inmates were sent to the Henry Gurney School in Telok Mas. On the following day, 16 prisoners from the Seremban Prison were brought in to carry out renovation work to turn the premises into a prison.

[ Map ]



76300 Sungai Udang,

Tel : 06-3519600
Fax : 06-3517791
Email :

Brief Information

The Sungai Udang Prison is located on Lot PT 1582, Mukim of Sungai Udang, Central Melaka District, Melaka World Heritage City (UNESCO). Its construction began on 19 September 2005 and was completed on 4 February 2010 at a contract value of RM305,000,000.00. It was handed over to the Prisons Department on 19 May 2010 and began operations on 25 May 2010. It was gazetted in the Federal Government Gazette (KDN.PDP(S)03/171/1:PN (PU)163/IX) dated 1 May 2010.

Based on the project brief prepared by the Prisons Department, the proposed Sungai Udang Prison was intended to replace the Banda Hilir Prison in Melaka and was to accommodate 2000 inmates consisting of 1700 male prisoners and 300 female prisoners.

The proposed Sungai Udang Prison would be sited on a 129.8-acre land adjacent to Jalan Baru Sungai Udang-Ayer Keroh. The site is wholly owned by the Prisons Department and is a strategic location with existing oil palm plantations and situated away from the main residential areas.

In addition, its accessibility was a factor in determining its suitability as a prison location. Pursuant to the transparency and security principles stipulated in respect of control over the current circumstances affecting the proposed site, the area was chosen as the site for the construction of the new prison.

[ Map ]



75450 Ayer Keroh,

Tel : 06-2323428/2318725
Fax : 06-2325790
Email :

Brief Information

The 38.85-acre Dusun Dato’ Murad Pre-release Prison includes a plantation, residential building, recreational area and administrative office. It is approximately 12 km from the city centre and approximately 3 km from the PLUS toll house (Ayer Keroh exit).

The pre-release prison began its operations on 15 January 2003 at a time when the prison institutions were seriously overcrowded. As a solution, the Headquarters of the Prisons Office, with the approval of the Ministry of Internal Security, decided to close down the Dusun Dato’ Murad Henry Gurney School and move its operations to the Henry Gurney School in Telok Mas.
The institution was published in the Government Gazette dated 18 February 2003, in accordance with the requirements under Section 3 of the Prison Act 1995. The institution thereby began implementing a new control system for prisoners with remaining sentences of 2 years and under, chosen from four nearby institutions, namely the Johor Bahru Prison, Simpang Renggam Prison, Kajang Prison and Sungai Buloh Prison.
The institution continues to conduct agricultural activities as the main rehabilitation process. In addition, some of the inmates have been identified as eligible to work in joint-ventures with nearby factories.
Visiting sessions in the institution are conducted openly (contact visit). A meeting area named ‘Balai Perjumpaan’ is located next to the main entrance of the Staff Sports and Welfare Club and the Record Office.

Prisoner visiting hours are as follows:

Mondays to Thursdays - 8.00 a.m. to 4.30 p.m
Fridays - Close
Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays - 8.00 a.m. to 4.30 p.m
Festivals - In accordance with the stipulations of the Security Division of the Prisons Department Headquarters

Family members of the prisoners are permitted to visit at their convenience. They will be given written notification of the visiting hours when the prisoners are transferred to this institution. Further information may be obtained by contacting the Record Officer on duty.

[ Map ]



86200 Simpang Rengam,

Tel : 07-7550990
Fax : 07-7556050
Email :

Brief Information

Construction of the Simpang Renggam Prison in Johor began in 1982 and was completed in 1986 on a piece of land measuring 82.6 hectares (198.2 acres). 

On 20 October 1986 it was gazetted as a prison for detaining inmates under remand as well as pre-release prisoners and prisoners employed outside the prison. It has a capacity of 1100 inmates.

On 10 May 1991 it was gazetted as a moral rehabilitation centre for detainees held under the Dangerous Drugs (Special Preventive Measures) Act 1985 and detainees held under the Emergency (Public Order and Prevention of Crime) Ordinance 1969. It can accommodate 1400 detainees. 

[ Map ]



Kg. Gajah,
Jalan Mersing,
86000 Kluang

Tel : 07-7875200
Fax : 07-7875128
Email :

Brief Information

The Malaysian Government, in addressing the problem of overcrowding experienced in prison institutions nationwide, has taken several positive measures such as constructing new prisons. One such prison is the Kluang Prison which was built to overcome the overcrowding and the problems arising therefrom, especially in the Johor Bahru Prison, and subsequently to replace the prison which is more than a century old.
The prison was built on Lots PTD 11021, PTD 11294 and PTD 13872 in the Mukim of Kluang with an area of 450 acres. Construction began in early 2001 and was practically completed on 31 July 2004 at a cost of RM223.5 million. It has a capacity of 2,000 inmates at any one time consisting of 1,800 male inmates and 200 female inmates. On 20 August 2004, a building and prison cell inspection was conducted by the Kluang Municipal Council and a certificate of fitness for occupation of building was issued on 27 August 2004. On 15 January 2005 it was officially declared as the Kluang Prison.
Operations began on 1 February 2005 with 40 prison officers. The number of staff increased from time to time gradually and to date it has 568 members of staff at various positions.
Placement of prisoners in the Kluang Prison began in mid-February 2005 with the transfer of 150 inmates from the Johor Bahru, Simpang Renggam and Kajang Prisons. The operation continued in stages until the final group of inmates was transferred from the Johor Bahru Prison, following which the prison was closed on 19 December 2005.
In line with the increase in the number of inmates, the administrative management was upgraded with the placement of a senior prison officer with the rank of Senior Assistant Commissioner of Prison as the Director of Kluang Prison effective from April 2006. 

Inmates of the Kluang Prison are offenders from throughout the state of Johor who have received the following sentences from the courts:


Short sentence


Long sentence


Life sentence


Natural life sentence


Death sentence


Foreign prisoners



In addition, there are remand detainees at the Kluang Prison who are female detainees for offences committed in the state of Johor.
Remand detainees consist of:


Sessions Court detainees


Subordinate Court detainees


High Court detainees


Shariah Sessions Court detainees


Shariah High Court detainees

[ Map ]



KM. 18, Jalan Kuantan-Pekan
25150 Kuantan,

Tel : 09-5121044
Fax : 09-5311169
Email :

Brief Information

The Penor Prison is located on a site measuring 200 acres on Lot 2142 in the Mukim of Penor, District of Kuantan, Pahang. It is 18 km from the town of Kuantan and 30 km from the royal town of Pekan. Construction of the prison began in 1982 and it was initially intended to be a Henry Gurney School. However, as the Kuantan Prison was overcrowded at the time and in view of the decreasing number of inmates at the Henry Gurney Schools nationwide, the original proposal was changed. On 30 July 1990, the prison was gazetted as the Penor Open Prison. 

[ Map ]



Kompleks Penjara Bentong, Mempaga
28600 Karak, Bentong
Tel : 09 - 221 0111 Faks : 09 - 224 1553

Brief Information

The Bentong Prison in Pahang is a new prison built through directly negotiated contract with the Public Works Department acting as the implementing agency. Trans Resources Corporation Sdn Bhd was the contractor responsible for its construction. The prison was built on Lot PT 15878 in the Mukim of Sabai in the District of Bentong, measuring 54.97 hectares (135.84 acres), which is located in the Felda Mempaga cluster. The construction cost RM238 million. The project commenced on 31 May 2005 and was completed on 31 July 2008. It was gazetted as the Bentong Prison effective from 1 June 2008 through the letter KDN.S.171/1355 Klt. 6:PN(PU²)163/VIII dated 12 May 2008. The prison is administered by a Director with the rank of Deputy Commissioner of Prison, Grade KX54.

The prison accommodates male and female remand and convicted inmates with a comfortable capacity of 2,200 inmates. It is equipped with the Integrated Electronic Security System with CCTV monitoring, security fencing as well as locks.

The Bentong Prison is also equipped with modern and comfortable staff quarters as well as other amenities for staff of various ranks. In addition, playgrounds and other recreational facilities such as a gymnasium, game courts, football field, multi-purpose hall and clubhouse are also provided. 

[ Map ]



21600 Marang,

Tel : 09-8320200
Fax : 09-8321269
Email :

Brief Information

The Marang Prison is situated in the Mukim of Pulau Kerengga in the District of Marang, approximately 11 km from Marang town and 33 km from Kuala Terengganu. It has an area of 78.18 hectares, where 28 hectares has been designated for development projects, 32 hectares for agricultural projects and the remainder for recreational projects.

The prison was officially opened on 17 April 1987 by Datuk Seri Dr Mahathir Mohamad. A unique feature of its development is that the construction was carried out by the prisoners themselves under the supervision of the prison staff. Rehabilitation activities at the Marang Prison consist of vocational training as well as joint-venture projects and community service. 

[ Map ]



Jalan Maktab,
16109 Pengkalan Chepa,

Tel : 09-77388915
Fax : 09-7737522
Email :

Brief Information

The Pengkalan Chepa Prison, formerly known as the Kelantan Prison, is approximately 8 km from Kota Bharu. It began operations on 17 August 1950. Previously, the institution was located at the Kelantan State Vector-Borne Disease Control Office on Jalan Mahmood, Kota Bharu opposite the Sultan Muhammad IV Stadium or adjacent to the Cultural Centre. The building remains to this day and has been renovated by the State Health Department. 

The current Pengkalan Chepa Prison is located on a 26.45-hectare land, with 10.2 hectares being used as the prison and the remaining area used for housing and playground. Initially, it was known as an open prison, the first of its kind in Malaysia and South-East Asia. The concept of an open prison was adopted from the Witz Will System in Bern, Switzerland which had been established in 1875. On 2 February 1994, the prison was gazetted (KDNS 171/1355 Klt.2 Pindaan (PU2) 163/11) under an administration led by a prison officer with the rank of Senior Superintendent of Prison.
The prison is divided into 2 sections, namely for males and females. To date it has been able to accommodate more than 1,000 inmates serving various categories of sentences and detention such as prisoners who received death, life, long and short sentences, high court, sessions court, magistrates court and immigration detainee as well as foreign prisoners.

Throughout his/her sentence, a prisoner receives vocational training such as in carpentry, welding, rattan weaving, sewing, batik-making, building construction, electrical workshops and vegetable planting. Apart from providing life skill training which could be the prisoner’s livelihood upon release, religious education is also given for moral rehabilitation whereby religious talks and congregational prayers are conducted in this institution. In addition, the inmates receive guidance counselling, especially those involved in drug abuse. In the afternoon, sports activities are carried out to relieve boredom and to establish a harmonious life among the prisoners.

Prisoners too need love and they do miss their families. As such, families are allowed to visit at least once a month, every three weeks, every fortnight or every week, depending on the status of the prisoners. Thirty minutes is allocated for each visit whereby an intercom is used for the family to advise the prisoners not to repeat their mistakes. Such visits may slightly alleviate their longing for their family. 

[ Map ]



Penjara Puncak Borneo
KM 23, Jalan Puncak Borneo
93250 Kuching, Sarawak

Tel: 082-614066
Fax: 082-614015

Brief Information

The Puncak Borneo Prison, with a total area of 43.91 hectares, is situated on Lot 543, Block 4, District of Tanah Sentah Segu, Padawan, 25 km from Kuching. Its construction began in 1997. It became operational upon its gazetting on 27 November 2008 through the letter KKDN.S.171/1355 Klt. 7;PN(PU2)163/VIII. It is equipped with an anti-climb fence and the Integrated Electronic Security System which includes CCTV monitoring. The prison conducts educational programmes, that is through the Integrity School for the Sarawak Zone which began operations on 9 February 2009. The Puncak Borneo Prison is administered by a Director with the rank of Assistant Commissioner of Prison, Grade KX48.

The prison has a capacity for 550 male and female inmates who are remand and convicted prisoners.

It is also equipped with staff quarters for various ranks. In addition, facilities such as a mosque and KEMAS childcare centre are also provided for the staff.

[ Map ]



Peti Surat 251
95008 Bandar Sri Aman,

Tel : 083-322161
Fax : 083-325495
Email :

Brief Information

The Sri Aman Prison is located on Lot No. 493, Jalan Brayun in Sri Aman. It has a total area of 7.9 acres and construction began in 1978 to replace the old Fort Allice prison. The prison began operations on 10 June 1980 under the authority of the Sri Aman District Office but in early 1981, it was handed over to the Prisons Department.

[ Map ]



Jalan Awang Ramli Amit
96000 Sibu,

Tel : 084-330740
Fax : 084-348487
Email :

Brief Information

During Brooke’s reign, the Sibu Prison was known as the ‘Rumah Pasong’. The early rumah pasong was built in 1890 on the banks of River Rejang near the Lau King Howe Hospital. It was administered by the police. In 1918 it was moved to the current location on a 3-acre land bordering Palm Road, Pisang Road and Padang Road. From 1918 to 1963, the rumah pasong was administered by the District Officer. When the state of Sarawak gained its independence through Malaysia in 1963, the rumah pasong too underwent a change and came to be known as a prison. Its administration was placed under the Prisons Department and it was gazetted on 25 August 1972.

  1. To make reservations for a visit/appointment by telephone, please dial 084-330740 ext. 25 during office hours on weekdays.
  2. The information required includes the prisoner’s name, prisoner no., date of visit, time of visit, name of caller/relationship.
  3. Visitors are required to arrive 15 minutes earlier. The visit will be categorised as a normal visit in the event the visitors are late.
  4. Cancellation of visits shall be made known to the Visit Registration Unit

[ Map ]



Beg Berkunci No. 11
98009 Miri,

Tel : 085-611057
Fax : 085-612051
Email :

Brief Information

The Miri Central Prison was opened on 8 December 1962 at Jalan Brighton to hold 62 prisoners who had instigated a revolt in Bekenu, Miri on that very day. It was gazetted as a prison on 26 April 1962 in volume XVIII N0. 24 No. S66. At the time of its establishment, the Miri District Officer acted as the Deputy Superintendent of Prison and the officer in charge was Head Prison Officer Sumarja. There were 12 officers then.

The prison is situated 14 kilometres from town in Kampung Tunku Abdul Rahman, Lambir with a land area of 20.05 acres. It was published in Government Gazette SWK.LN(F) and SWK.L.N(F) 10 (SGG Part II Volume XXXV No. 5) on 14 February 1980.

The prison is an open prison with several general characteristics:

  • Not enclosed by concrete walls but zinc and chainlink fences with barbed wire
  • Accommodates prisoners and detainees from Miri, Marudi, Lawas and Bintulu Divisions
  • Accommodates hardcore prisoners and detainees from the Limbang Central Prison
  • Equipped with electronic security system and classified as a medium security prison

It is administered by the head of institution with the rank of Superintendent of Prison, Grade KX 42. It holds prisoners serving death, natural life, life, long and short sentences, remand prisoners and prisoners under order of detention. The capacity of this prison is 250 male prisoners and 150 female prisoners. The prison has 5 industrial workshops providing skill training to inmates:


Carpentry workshop


Sewing workshop


Craft workshop


Welding workshop


Laundry workshop

[ Map ]



455,460,461 Blok 16 Pandaruan L.D,
98700 Limbang,

Tel : 085-211066 / 211068
Fax : 085-211060
Email :

Brief Information

It is a modernistic prison in the state of Sarawak. It was implemented under the Eighth Malaysia Plan (2001 – 2005) at a cost of RM84 million.

The prison is located on Lots 455, 460, 461 Block 16 Pandaruan LD with a total area of 20.2631 hectares / 50.0694 acres, MP5/60-1 D21-3-3 Block 16 Pandaruan LD. It has the following features:





The building design is based on the concept of correction and rehabilitation of offenders.


There are 10 blocks of staff quarters, 12 blocks of ancillary buildings in phase 1 and 18 blocks of buildings in the prison grounds in phase 2.


7 blocks of inmate accommodation for 316 male prisoners and 83 female prisoners






In general, the prison is a medium security facility.


Security is controlled centrally from the Security Control Room whereas each building is controlled from the Local Guard Room.


Each building is installed with an intercom station, panic button, PA system and CCTV cameras.


Equipment such as metal detectors and intercom for visitors come complete with a recording system and a walkie talkie system is installed for specific functions and operations.


The lock system used is manual, except for the automatic sliding gate.

The prison was gazetted in the Malaysian Government Gazette Vol. 49 No. 5 10 March 2005 P.U.(B) 91 under Section 3 of the Prison Act 1995 (Act 537) effective 15 March 2005 (KKDN.S 171/1355/Klt. 5; PN(PU2) 163/VI). The name Limbang New Prison Complex was changed to the Limbang Prisons Department. 

Operations officially began on Monday, 12 December 2005. All uniformed and civilian officers and staff from the Limbang Central Prison were transferred to this prison. The prisoner population at the time of transfer numbered 49 (44 males and 5 females). The historic moment began at 9.35 a.m. when all the inmates had been safely transferred to the new prison. The transfer operation was witnessed by Haji Zulkipli bin Omar, the Deputy Director General of Prisons, and Wan Abdul Rahman bin Abdullah, the Sarawak State Prison Director.


[ Map ]



Peti Surat 11020,
88811 Kota Kinabalu,

Tel : 088-456474
Fax : 088-270470
Email :

Brief Information

The Kota Kinabalu Central Prison was originally located at Batu Tiga, Jesselton during British rule and was placed under the administration of the police. In 1953 it was moved to the Kepayan area on a site measuring 7.14 acres. Around 1963, the administration of the Sabah Prisons Department was for the very first time handed over to a Malaysian, GS David, of Penang, who was appointed as the Sabah Commissioner of Prison succeeding the British Commissioner, BR Lowe. Initially, the prison was to accommodate only 250 offenders. However, at the time of its opening, it had 300 inmates under the charge of only 31 officers.

Lot No.:
Total area : 31.6 hectares
Central prison area : 3.5 acres
Capacity : 750

[ Map ]



Peti Surat 11020
88811 Kota Kinabalu

Tel : 088-456474/088-319472
Fax : 088-319471
Email :

Brief Information

The Kota Kinabalu Women’s Prison is located in the Kepayan zone approximately 3 km from the city centre. Formerly known as the Women’s Prison, it was constructed in 1967 and began operations in May 1968. Its original location was on a site measuring 0.83 acre, adjacent to the Kota Kinabalu Central Prison.
On 1 July 2003, it was moved to the Kota Kinabalu Henry Gurney School, thus taking over the administration of the school through gazette KDN.S.171/1355, Klt. 4; PN(PU2) 163/VI.

Vocational activities for prisoners include skill training for beauty salons, sewing, laundry, batik painting and catering. The public is welcome to obtain the services of the prisoners in these areas and may contact the industrial officer during office hours.

[ Map ]



Peti Surat 1469
98000 Sandakan,

Tel : 089-663027/089-665860
Fax : 089-663713
Email :

Brief Information

Long before the construction of the Sandakan Prison, the Sim Sim Prison had been in operation since the 1950s. At the time, the prison was administered by the Superintendent of Police. The Sim Sim Prison was closed down in 1981 and its inmates were transferred to the Sandakan Prison which was completed in 1978 but only began operations in 1981. In 1984, the Sim Sim Prison building was demolished to make way for the construction of a highway.

[ Map ]


91000 Tawau,

Tel : 089-712509
Fax : 089-711564
Email :

Brief Information

The Tawau Prison was built in 1964 and began full operations the following year. It has a total area of 13.55 acres consisting of 3 acres of prison area and 10.55 acres for officers’ quarters. 

[ Map ]